Re: Running MySQL not as 'root'

--- Pere Camps <pere@casal.upc.es> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> 	I've just installed MySQL and I'm trying to run the server not as
> root for security reason (any bug in a MySQL running as root could
> compomise the system securirity).
>
> 	I'm brand new to MySQL so please don't blame me for obvious
> work-arounds.
>
> 	I've read the manual page and it says that you can run MySQL as an
> ordinary user changing the ownership of the var files and starting the
> server mysqld as the new user. However, it says that I don't have to touch
> anything for 'safe_mysqld', and as Debian uses safe_mysqld for launching
> MySQL, I don't know how to make mysql run as user 'nobody' with the less
> of modifications to the standard distribution.
[snip]

Try:
  safe_mysqld --user=nobody &
Might be better if you use the pseudo-user `mysql':
  safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
I believe the default Debian config already changes the ownership of MySQL's
private dirs/files to be owned by the user `mysql'.
(Of course make sure you shut down any mysqld processes before trying the
above commands).

=====
()()
"Don't modify spaghetti code unless you can eat the consequences."
`--'