Re: just curious about Debian vs Redhat

On Wed, 27 Oct 1999, William T Wilson wrote:

> DPT raid controller drivers, I know, are distributed in source form.  I
> cannot think of any reason they would work with a RedHat kernel and not a
> Debian kernel, as RedHat doesn't (AFAIK) currently modify the kernel.

well,

http://www.dpt.com/techsup/sr5drv.htm#LINUX

they got boot and root disks for redhat 5.2/6.0, and binary modules
(dpt_i2o.o dpt_i2o_smp.o) ..i havent checked their other
controllers(yet) just those caught my attention when a friend of mine said
he was having problems with that DPT card under redhat.

> Even if you do use a binary driver, it ought to work with any kernel of
> the version range it was designed to work with, RedHat or otherwise.

it should, but it doesn't always.  my recent install of vmware (the
latest) had modules for my kernel version but they failed to
load.  luckily the program was able to successfully compile modules and
load em.  and it also is bad because take the DPT raid drivers for linux
2.2.5.  chances are not that great that it will work on 2.2.10 ..2.2.13
..it may be possible, but not nearly as good as having the source to
recompile for another kernel rev.

> I don't agree here either.  Someone has to adopt glibc first.  If no one
> adopts it, no one will work the bugs out and it will never be ready for
> use.

it just seemed they adopted it WAY in advance of anyone else, be it debian
or slackware (or suse?? i dont remember) and it caused me a lot of
trouble, just my opinon though.

> RedHat always maintains the current and previous major version of their
> release, at least for security and major bugfixes.  If you aren't ready to
> move up to the new version, just use the previous one.

my problems was more related to 3rd party stuff that people developed
around the new libc. (same with glibc2.1) mostly with binary
distributions.  i try to compile most everything but some stuff just won't
compile and using a binary is the last resort option...