Re: Sbpcd module trouble

Antonio Rodriguez wrote:

> I did the mount -t ... /dev/hdx, tried all, none worked.
> I did later modconf to install the sbpcd, installed nicely, but again didn't let me read my
> cdrom.
> What I get is, after a lot of failures of the kind
>
> sbpcd-0 [x]: Diskinfo: Read capacity "y"  returns - 602
> sbpcd-0[x+1]: CD contains no data tracks.
> sbpcd-0[x+2]: !st-diskok detected-retrying
> same
> same
> sbpcd[x+4]: sbp status: failed after 3 tries
> end_request: I/O error, dev 19:00, sector 64
> isofs_read_super: bread failed, dev 19:00 iso_blknum 16 block 32
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom, or
> too many mounted file systems.

Ouch!  I can't help you much here.;-(

Surely someone on the list must have experience with that type of cdrom.  If no one jumps in
with the answer, you might try asking  the question again. This
time mention the cdrom type in the subject line.

> My CDrom is not bootable. How long does it take to install from the web with a 28800 bps
> connection? Do you guys think the problem is with the CDRom, or with the module?
> Thanks,
> Antonio.

Hummmm!

I installed potato via the web using dselect with the apt option, but I didn't time it.  I did
it on-and-off over several days, my wild guess would be 10-20 hours for a basic system with
xwindows. Depending, of course, on the quality of your phone line and the packages you select
for your system. Much longer if you're greedy.

If you decide to go this route, you'll need a site to download from.  One of the sites below
will work as will many others.

deb ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
or
deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

You can either edit the file "/etc/apt/sources.list"  and make sure it has one of the above
lines in it or you can simply enter the same address when dselect asks you for it.

I'd start a little at a time, maybe with all of almost all of the 'required' and 'important'
packages. Then if all goes well, get whatever standard, optional and xwindow packages you
want.

Cheers
John