Sbpcd module trouble

I am trying to install slink from zero, but I am quite unable to install
sucesfully the cdrom module. My cdrom is a Matshita cdrom CR 5633 (got
this from the win95 previous installation).  I had been able to install
and read before from the cdrom, by just not entering any command line,
after which I got some EOF backquote substitution error, but any way
some "Installation succeded" came through. Even with this I can't read
any from the Cdrom when making first installation with dselect. Tells me
"cdrom not succesfully mounted"
I have tried mount -t  iso9660  /dev/cdrom  /cdrom, but with same
result: I get some long list of attempts, but none gets anywhere.
Another data of interest: when rebooting, I see CR-563 0x340 flashing.
I have no idea what to do. I have been able to install the base system
by rawriting2 the base14-x.bin files to floppies (7 of them), but seems
a very long work to continue doing this.
please help.
Thanks,
Antonio.