Re: trashing Netscape (was Netscape 4.71 Is Rock Solid & Fast!)

I'll give you credit for chasing this thing!

I've got only one further contribution:

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 23:40, Daniel Barclay wrote:
 [snip!]
> Oh yeah, another thing:  In non-Java 90% CPU mode, I could quit,
> but the netscape process would keep running, using 90% CPU.
> I didn't seem to be only temporary (e.g., to update the history
> or bookmarks files or something).

I have seen this, very occasionally on my own box, and sometimes on
other users' boxen at my last job. Never chased it, just killed it
and continued. I'd guess that it happens on average once every two
person-weeks of fairly heavy Netscape usage, but have no idea of how
Netscape was being used (even in my own case :-). Since I usually run
a 32MB box I just assume somebody ran out of memory. Killing the rogue
Netscape process always makes things well again.

Cheers,
 Pann
--
geek by nature, Linux by choice                     L I N U X       .~.
                                                    The Choice      /V\