Re: Sun goes fully open source!

Oki DZ wrote:

> Ben Collins wrote:
> > Not being able to distribute your changes, is not free speech. It's crap and they
> > are only hoping to capitalize on the hardwork of others without giving them
> > anything truly worthwhile in return.
>
> Hi, what about a free office suite? It's somekind of a return, isn't it?
> (http://www.sun.com/staroffice/).
>
> Oki
Uhmmmm. It was already free, in the dollars and cents manner. They
really gave back/up nothing. The only thing is that they can now turn it
into a sun proprietary thin client to run on their servers, and voila'
instant network office suite that really will compete with MS Office 2M
for NT/WIN 2M. You can also bet they will be looking for a major
database and accounting package, to complete it. That's exactly what I
would do in their position. Their getting clobbered by very good
inexpensive servers that are well capable of whacking theirs on a daily
basis. I know because I build some myself :-) Just my opinion.
--
John Foster
AdVance-Computing Systems