Re: hdparm settings

On Tue, Oct 26, 1999 at 04:02:20PM +1300, zdrysdal@diagnostic.co.nz wrote:

> i have set a few hdparm settings to tune up my ide drive.. i however
> do not know how to make those settings permanent as setting switch -k1
> does not seem to work.  Should i just set the settings everytime my
> machine is rebooted in an init script or something??

The -k1 switch will only keep settings over a reset of the drive
controller, not of the machine.

To make hdparm settings "permanent", write a little shell script, put it
in /etc/init.d and use update-rc.d to have it symlinked to the correct
places in the /etc/rc.* directories. You'll want to check out the man
page for update-rc.d first, if you haven't used it before.

An example:
# update-rc.d -n hdparm defaults

This will show you what changes it's going to make, assuming your script
in init.d is called 'hdparm'. If it the settings look good, remove the
'-n' and run again to actually make the links.

--
[ Matthew Gregan ]       [ GPG ID: B63A1E95 ]       [ kinetik@ihug.co.nz ]
[ GPG fingerprint:    FB83 2911 F170 B31C 9E4A  E382 CA8A A2F6 B63A 1E95 ]