ATI Mach64 mouse woes!

From: j.l.gomez-dans@sheffield.ac.uk
Subject: Problems with ATI Mach64 card
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.x
	Hi!
	This is the second SVGA/PCI card i try on my computer, and the
second time I encounter this problem. First of all, gpm stops working. The
mouse is on ttyS0, which according to setserial is at 0x03f8 and IRQ4. As
for the graphics card, there seems to be a /proc/ioports entry for it at
0x3c0-0x3df (signalled as vga+). There's no trace of the card in
/proc/interrupts, though.

	zgv and other console graphic tools that make use of libsvga work
with an VGA display. It seems that the Mach64 driver is not built into the
debian package (I read that it's very unstable, at least that's what the
README file says, but that file is more than a year old :-?). So, in the
console, the mouse is *dead*.

	Trying to start XF86Setup starts the X server and launches the Setup
program. However, the mouse here is dead. It moves when I touch and then
disappears without a trace. This renders the X server useless. I have killed
gpm before starting the X server (which, incidentally looks fine, hi
resolution and all those things, only no mouse :-/). I can provide an X
-probeonly output, but I won't spam you with that :)

	Since I had the same problem in the past (solved by using an ageing
VGA card==not optimal solution :D) with an S3 card, I have downloaded a
newer BIOS for my MB, and installed it succesfully. Once the update has been
done, the computer boots up with the new bios, but the problem with the
mouse stays.

	Does any one know what might be happening? I'd be more than happy to
provide you with further information (file listings and stuff like that).
The motherboard is a Pentium MMX compatible with PCI and ISA bus and with an
VXPro+ chipset. I'm using debian slink with XFree 3.5.

	Tia,
	Jose

--
Jose L Gomez Dans			PhD student