pain in the a-- guys monitor problem solved

I want to thank the list for all the help and advice you have been giving
me. I am the one who has been trying to run xf86config to set up x-windows.
As you may know I do not have any specs for my monitor, and every time I
would run xf86config I would get a scrambled screen. During my probably
50th attempt to configure, and the monitor was scrambled, my hand darted
out and turned the monitor off and on. Guess what came back? A beautiful
x-window. It seems there is some kind of problem with the monitor itself.
When I bought this computer several months ago the lady said there was some
problem. I did not notice it because I was mostly fooling around with dos.
Apparently it doesn't like graphics. Anyway, x is coming up fine and when
it doesn't I flip the monitor off and on.

How's that for a simple, idiotic solution?

Jeff