Re: Two different FTP problems

On Sun, 24 Oct 1999, Daniel Lesage wrote:

 : Hi all.
 :
 : I've been having trouble FTPing to my Debian box over my LAN for a while
 : now. Here's what happens:
 :
 : Problem 1) I can't FTP as root, and I understand why. But one (and only
 : one) of
 : my users is also unable to FTP there, getting the same error message as when I
 : try as root. That user is not listed in the ftphosts file. What gives?

If a user's shell is not listed in /etc/shells then they will be denied
ftp access.  Ensure the user's shell is listed in /etc/shells.

 : Problem 2) I'm able to connect using any other user name. But trying to
 : upload
 : files results in "Permission Denied", regardless of where I try to upload.
 : Home directories' permissions look fine (rwxr-xr-x).

I'd like to know what ftp daemon you run before attempting to answer
this one (ProFTP has a conf file, for example).

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD