[OT] Xresource setting based on pattern(regex)

I tried searching archives, deja.com, etc and couldn't find what I was
looking for.

Is it possible to set a Xresource based a pattern of the default
resource value that the application sets or another resource of that
app? I have a third party commercial app that sets ridiculous long title
and iconName resources for windows that it generates. The strings for
the two are the same for the title and iconName resources except for a
changing number on the end, i.e. <long pattern> 1, <long pattern> 2,
etc. I would like to at least change the iconName resource to something
shorter but still keep each figures unique ending number so that I can
distinguish the figures when iconified in my iconbox.  Something like
'win 1', or whatever. So since each window has the same resource name
but different value can I set a resource that modifies the default
resource that it gets or uses the title resource as its source and
modifies it?

Does this make since?  I am willing to set 100 different resources for
each possible figure but they don't seem to have a unique resource
qualifier for each window to be able to do this.

Thanks for any pointer or rtfms or examples,

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.