another question about my monitor

As you may know I have been having trouble getting my monitor set up under
x. Because of not having any documentation on the used computer that I
have, as well as not finding any info on the net about horiz and vert sync
settings for my monitor, I have been shooting in the dark while trying to
set up xf86config. I keep missing.

My question is: What if I reinstalled Windows 3.11 Would there be some kind
of utility that would show me what settings Windows is using for the
monitor sync? Or Dos?

Thanks for your advice.

Jeff