Re: dpkg problem

On Thu, Oct 21, 1999 at 04:43:48PM -0700, Rik Burt wrote:
> Unfortunately I cannot do anything in dpkg other than get the help listings.
> All I get is the segmentation faults.

Ok, two choices:

1) Open up /var/lib/dpkg/status, and find the package entries for libc6 and
   dpkg, then give the full entry (all fields for that package) for each one.

2) Try getting the slink _and_ potato dpkg .deb's, then use dpkg-deb to unpack
   them so you can try to get a working dpkg.

If you can with handle the downtime, I'de prefer to see "1", but if you need to
get the system back up quickly, and you are confortable woring with a raw tar
of the binaries, then go with "2".

Thanks,
  Ben