How to shut up dselect?

Hi,

I have a question related to installing non-debian programs:

When I first installed Debian 2.1, I noticed that it came with teTeX 0.9.
I un-installed that and installed teTeX-1.0 from the CTAN archive. Of
course, the debian package manager doesn't know about this, so whenever I
use dselect, it comes up with this old "some package needs teTeX" line. I
once even didn't notice and let dselect have its way, so all of a sudden
it started installing teTeX 0.9. I hit Ctrl-C to stop that (I know, bad
idea), and now teTeX 0.9 is so fucked up that dselect won't even
un-install whatever fragments it managed to put on the disk. It tells me
to install it first and then un-install it.

In this case, this is not a big problem because I have teTeX entirely
under its own tree in /usr/local/teTeX, so messing around with another
version will not do any damage. But if I had installed teTeX-1.0 in the
same place as 0.9, it would now certainly be broken.

Is there a way to tell dselect: "I installed sucha-and-such myself, it's
there, so stop bitching (and remember next time)"? I know that this is
somewhat against the whole idea of packet management. Is making a .tar.gz
into a .deb package the only clean way? What if I don't want to make the
.tar.gzipped source tree the packege, but the "make install"ed result
(with all its files scattered in various places of the system)?

Enough questions for today.
--Daniel