ip-up.d

I am having a stubborn ip-up.d. I have some scripts in there that I would like
run when I connect to isp. here are the perms:
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     dip            34 Oct 19 09:49 mailer.sh
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     dip            34 Oct 14 16:59 ntpdate
the mailer.sh is as follows

#!/bin/sh
su allegro -c fetchmail

and ntpdate is as follows

#!/bin/bash
ntpdate ns.scruz.net

problem is they don't seem to execute when I login woth pon, I amon a potato
box and dial using pon as my user, not root.

If I am root, I can manually execute the mailer.sh but when I do it manually
as my user it prompts me for a password, is this where the problem is? Since I
am dialing as a user is it waitng for a password?
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.