Re: turning your computer off

I have my machine set up so that ctrl-alt-end shuts down.
Add the following lone to /etc/inittab (comment out any
existing kb::kbrequest line):

kb::kbrequest:shutdown -a -h now

I think the default combination for kbrequest signal is
alt-uparrow.  To change this, you must modify /etc/kbd/default.map.
The "kbrequest" signal is called "KeyboardSignal" here.

Mine has the following:

Keycode 107 = Select
	control alt keycode 107 = KeyboardSignal

I probably had to remove a definition for alt-uparrow.

See also:
http://howto.linuxberg.com/LDP/HOWTO/Keyboard-and-Console-HOWTO.html#toc1

-Steve Stancliff