Re: Network problem-->cannot resolve the ip to dns

On Tue, Oct 19, 1999 at 01:50:18AM -0700, ZEN MYSTIC wrote:

> hi...
>  i have sort of network problem here..
>  recently i have changed my ip add..and was  previouly
> running apache and ws-ftp...now i could'nt ping and
> access the machine by typing it's dns(the name of the
> machine following by its domain name) but if i type
> the ip i could get access...
>
> pls help..how to solve this problemmm!!!!

Hi Mastic Zan,

This is normal: as the dns can't find the LAN adresses from root servers
(of course :)) it *must* have them in a file, so called /etc/hosts, which
contains the relation between the names and the IPs adresses;
*AND* have records in it configuration files (in /var/named), in order
to know who is qualified to ask it for DNS queries.

So, if you changed the IP of your machine, you also have to change the content
of /etc/hosts, and the DNS records.

JY
--
Jean-Yves F. Barbier <jybarbier@wanadoo.fr>
 Different all twisty a of in maze are you, passages little.