Re: hda: irq timeout

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 04:58:56PM +0200, Peter Weiss wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     running kernel 2.2.12 on a new machine I found the following kernel
>     messages in the syslog file with decreasing time intervalls:
>
> Oct 18 16:28:38 Winona kernel: ide0: reset: success
> Oct 18 16:30:45 Winona kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
> Oct 18 16:30:47 Winona kernel: ide0: reset: success
> Oct 18 16:33:15 Winona kernel: hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

Ouch!

[...]

>     Does anybody have ideas/ suggestions?

Make backups quickly!  I have seen this kind of messages three times
now, and each time they came from a dying hard disk.  Especially the
fact that it occurs at decreasing intervals is alarming.  Try to backup
valuable data first, and then do a fsck on the disk.  If you find a lot
of errors, it is almost certain the disk is failing.

The problem could also be in the hard disk controller or the
motherboard.  Maybe reseating the connectors helps.

Good luck,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)