Re: need a linux book

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, jh wrote:

> Just a brief question. Do you guys think it is necessary to buy a debian
> specific book on linux or just a linux book in general? Do regular linux
> books cover topics like dselect? I live in a very small community and will
> need to buy online, so I can't browse.

Jeff:

Dale Scheetz has one at Linux Press,

	http://www.linuxpress.com

It comes with a four Debian Linux 2.1 CDs, source and binary, and
30 days of free email support. The registration slip has the email
address on it, copy it down before you send in your registration.

I have the books for the Debian 2.0 and the 2.1 versions, they are
quite good. The book can be downloaded free from the Linux Press web
site.

Orielly, VA Research (a distributor of Linux workstations) and
someone else provide a package with Debian and an Orielly book. The
package I got free at the Atlanta Linux Showcase Thursday had only
one binary disk in it, along with the Orielly book. I have not had
time to examine the book or CD but if this is as good as other
Orielly books, it is fine. "They say" that this book can also be
downloaded free.

Hope this helps.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I'm hoping this is all of the above!)