Re: nfs + setgid problem

Dietrich Clauss (dc2@inf.tu-dresden.de) wrote:

> I have a workstation pool with the home dirs shared over NFS. The home dirs
> are sgid by default in debian, so if a user creates a directory readable by
> himself only, it becomes sgid too. (KDE's "Desktop" directory is an example
> for that, it gets mode "rwx--S---".) The nfs server (I user knfs) however
> cannot export these directories, they seem to be empty if I try to read them
> from a NFS client.

What options do you have in /etc/exports on the NFS server?  What's in
/etc/fstab on the client(s)?

> It would be a solution to remove the sgid bit from the home directories, but
> isn't there a way to tell knfs to export these files correctly?

Mine works just fine.  Jekyll is the client:

jekyll:~$ ls -la bar
total 10
drwx--S---   2 greg     greg         1024 Oct 17 16:54 ./
drwxr-xr-x  84 greg     greg         8192 Oct 17 17:06 ../
-rw-rw-r--   1 greg     greg            4 Oct 17 16:54 foo

That's over knfs, with a patched 2.2.12 kernel on the server.

--
Greg Wooledge                    | Distributed.NET http://www.distributed.net/
wooledge@kellnet.com             | because a CPU is a terrible thing to waste.