Re: X server crashes....

> Hi,
>
> My X server crashes on a consistent basis without any apparent
> reason.
>
> Here is the output(useful parts) of my 'startx -- -bpp 16 >& errors'
> command ,
[snip]
> (--) SVGA: Virtual resolution set to 1152x864
> (--) SVGA: SpeedUp code selection modified because virtualX != 1024
> (--) SVGA: Using XAA (XFree86 Acceleration Architecture)
> (--) SVGA: XAA: Solid filled rectangles
> (--) SVGA: XAA: Screen-to-screen copy
> (--) SVGA: XAA: 8x8 color expand pattern fill
> (--) SVGA: XAA: CPU to screen color expansion (TE/NonTE imagetext, TE/NonTE poly
> text)
> (--) SVGA: XAA: Using 9 128x46 areas for pixmap caching
> (--) SVGA: XAA: Caching tiles and stipples
> (--) SVGA: XAA: General lines and segments
> (--) SVGA: XAA: Dashed lines and segments
>
> Fatal server error:
> Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Signal 11 is a segmentation fault.  This is what I suggest:

1) Re-install the X server binary.  It might have gotten munged somehow
2) Check your memory, motherboard, and L2 cache, or a combination of the
   above.  Those are the three most common causes of a Sig11, especially
   for 'no apparent reason'.

Out of curiosity, have you tried recompiling the kernel recently?

Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch@creighton.edu

universe. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein