Re: looking before I leap (bye gnome!)

tf  <hmf@softhome.net> writes:
tf> Hey guys, I'm going to get rid of gnome by dpkg -purging all four
tf> of the task-gnome-* debs that I installed.

That's not going to get rid of the GNOME stuff.  Those packages just
depend on lots of other packages; you need to actually go off and
remove those packages too (generally gnome-*) to really purge GNOME.

tf> I also stumbled on the fact that, for some reason, apt-get install mc
tf> also gets rid of them.  unless one of you guys yells at me, this is
tf> probably the method that I will use, as I want some of the pre-gnome
tf> functionality of mc.

Well, mc conflicts with gmc, and I believe task-gnome-desktop depends
on that.  So that will cause the task-gnome-desktop package -- but not
anything else it depends on, like for example gnome-panel -- to be
removed.

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell