EsounD trouble (second try)

(repost of my previous message -- accidentally used reply-to to an unrelated
thread in the mailing list -- probably missed everyone who has a threaded
mail reader.)

Can I use EsounD without GNOME/Enlightenment? I installed the esound package
but I can't get anything to play via esd. The only thing I can get out of the
speaker is the esd startup tone sequence (when I run esd in the background). I
tried esdplay, esdcat, esddsp, xmms (with esound plugin) but I can't seem to
get esd to produce any sound at all. What am I doing wrong???