Re: ppp not working

sambo@goldensun.com (Samuel Varghese) writes:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 1999, John Hasler wrote:

> the exact message that appears when i type either pon or pppd is:
> /usr/sbin/pppd: this system lacks kernel support for pppd. this could be
> because the ppp kernel module is not loaded or because the kernel is not
> configured for ppp. see the readme.linux file in the pppd2.3.5 distribution.

Sounds like your ppp module is not loading. What does
cat /proc/modules show. Does it show ppp, does it show any modules
at all. Modules "slhc" and "ppp" are necessary for pppd to work.
If you have no modules at all loaded, prehaps kerneld is not
working.

You can try to get these to load by using insmod or modprobe.

> > > i am using the fv2wm X interface.
> >
> > Irrelevant.  How did you configure ppp?  Did you use pppconfig?  If not, do
> > so, and then start ppp with 'pon' and stop it with 'poff'.
>
> yes, i used pppconfig to configure ppp and took the instructions for doing that
> from a book i downloaded off the debian.org site.
> sam

Does the kernel version you are using match the directory name in
/lib/modules/? Are you using a stock kernel, or did you compile
your own? If you compiled your own, did you recompile your modules,
and install them?

--
*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *