From: Keith G. Murphy [mailto:keithmur@mindspring.com]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 10:29 AM
To: 'Debian List'
Subject: Re: Need SCSI Tape Help

Mike Barton wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> I'm using slink with an SMP kernel (2.0.36) on a dual Pentium Pro 200 with
> 256M RAM. The HD setup is a pair of 4 GB Seagate Barracudas on an Adaptec
> 2940UW along with an SCSI CDROM and a Tandberg 4222 tape drive. I've got a
> really sweet server here except that I just noticed there are no /dev/st*
> for the tape drive. Anyone know at what point during the installation
these
> get created? I've got another machine here with an SCSI tape with lots of
> /dev/st*. I'd sure hate to mknod 'em all by hand on the new beast.

Your kernel is configured for SCSI tape support, right?  I don't think
that's the default.  Do a 'make menuconfig' and look for it.

If it's there, I believe you can cd to '/dev' and do a MAKEDEV, and that
will create all the proper devices for you automatically.

Folks, isn't the kernel build process supposed to do this for you?  I
remember having to do this myself, for a SCSI tape also, I believe.  I
used make-kpkg, then installed the binary package.