Re: SECOND TRY: Re: Group "adm"?

On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 12:25:35PM -0400,
Ed Cogburn <ecogburn@greene.xtn.net> wrote:
> Ed Cogburn wrote:
> >
> >         I've noticed several files in my normal user (ed) home dir, which,
> > instead of "ed" as group owner, are given the group of "adm".  These
> > files are all types, a file created by Netscape while downloading, a
> > sub-dir I created, and a config file (.xscreensaver) created by another
> > process, as examples.  The user "ed", isn't allowed to change this, I
> > have to use chown as root to fix things.  Is this normal?  Why do they
> > get the group of "adm"?

This is just a guess, and I don't know how it could have happened, but
your home directory might belong to group adm. My homedir is SGID, so that
all files are owned by the same group as it. If yours is set up the same
way, and I imagine it is, this might be it.

--
Eric Gillespie, Jr. <*> epg@pobox.com

"Man is a rope, tied between beast and overman--a rope over an abyss.
 A dangerous across, a dangerous on-the-way, a dangerous looking-back,
 a dangerous shuddering and stopping."
 --Friedrich Nietzsche