Re: 24-bit graphics woes

Bryan Allen wrote:

> You might want to check out xfree86.org, they've got spiffy infos on the
> supported cards. and yeah.. the 24 bit ugly netscape thing is netscape
> being ghetto and ugly in 24 bit. try jumping it up to 32bit as soon as you
> can. x is generally a lot prettier when it's got the color depth behind
> it. :)

Woohoo! It never occurred to me that 24bit might be simply worse-behaved
than 8, 16 and 32 bits. My card is accelerated in all modes except 24...
typical huh?

Switching to 32bit solved the speed issue, but the graphics seemed to
get corrupted, giving an interesting "color bleeding"-like effect.
Usually the left-hand side of any object didn't seem to get drawn
correctly, or sometimes at all, leaving holes in the sides of my
windows, and strange graphical artifacts on my menus. If anyone has any
ideas about *that*, I'd be *really* grateful (background: Trident
ProVidia9685 graphics card, SVGA xserver, current potato)

For now I'm in 16 bit and working fine (and fast) - thanks bryan :)

Stuart.