Re: kernel 2.2.10 patch to UDMA66 ?

Hello.

On Wed, Oct 13, 1999 at 08:15:12PM -0700, aphro wrote:
> i read in the kernel mailing list that UDMA66 isn't possible in the linux
> kernel yet.  even with a patch its bound to cause lockups.

It is possible. I have a Promise Ultra/66 board running with a Western
Digital Expert 27.3GB, at UDMA/66.

I'm using kernel 2.2.12, with patches that can be found on your local kernel
mirror under people/hedrick.

I have been using it for 2 months, and it has been rock solid stable. (And
pretty fast too: using hdparm -t /dev/hde , I get 22.5 MB/sec)

I'm using a stock slink system, btw.

I'm only using the first UDMA/66 channel, so I wouldn't know about the
problem described below.

> http://kt.linuxcare.com/kt19990927_36.html#12
>
> "You can not currently use the second ATA-66 channel under Linux. Unless
> you have a rabbit in the hat to register/service/handle the interrupt
> assignment to pin B for the second channel, it will lockup regardless. The
> interrupt is not serviced correctly. This will be on all mainboards that
> have native onboard support."

Have a good day,

Alexis Maldonado
Engineering College