Re: fetchmail vs. ?

Jim> I'm looking for something similar to fetchmail which will allow
Jim> me to download msgs via POP3 and deliver them to a local mailbox
Jim> file, such as /var/spool/mail/user or whatever I want, whereas
Jim> AFAICT (please correct me if I am wrong) fetchmail will only
Jim> deliver msgs to an smtp dameon or to a local MDA (procmail,
Jim> deliver, etc.).

Jim> I've seen fetchpop and it looks good, and am wondering if there's
Jim> anything else I might find out there that will do this.

Any of the Emacs mail reading packages (Gnus, rmail, vm) will do this;
they all rely internally on a helper program called movemail, which
can be instructed to do exactly what you want.  Even if you don't want
to use Emacs (but why shouldn't you? :)  you can consider installing
it just for movemail.

--
Ian Zimmerman
Lightbinders, Inc.