Re: Job Control?

bwarsing  <bwarsing@intergate.bc.ca> writes:
BW> On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 04:38:08PM -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
 NLM> There is a utility called 'screen' to handle this.  It's
 NLM> packaged for Debian.  You'd run your program in a screen session
 NLM> in one window ('screen mutt' for example).
BW>
BW> Then I think I am in trouble...
BW> I chose to run dselect on an xterm as su root.
BW> So, if I kill that window to install a new version of afterstep,
BW> what i am currently running, am I up the creek?

Actually, no, that's one nice thing about screen.  Even if the
window/terminal running screen spontaneously explodes, the programs
running inside the screen are still there.  You can get them back by
running 'screen -r'.

Also, in my experience, Debian has dealt fairly gracefully with
upgrading programs that are running, with only a few exceptions (xdm
being the one that comes to mind quickest).  I've upgraded GNOME and
fvwm while I'm running them with no problems.  <shrug>

BW> BTW: don't have 'screen'. Oops.

apt-get install screen

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://donut.mit.edu/dmaze/