Re: Modules source ?

Thank you. I am looking for the common 8390 and ne NIC modules source files.
It seems I should explain why I am asking.
I have a NIC which I am using with the ne module. It seems to work well, apart
from the fact that when I boot the machine I have to disconnect the network,
and reconnect it after the machine is up.
Now it turned out that I have a DOS diskette with a DOS executable called
linux.exe, which unzip the files
fet916.c  fet916.o  linux.txt  trans.dat.

Did someone came across this fet916 name ?

The file fet916.c contains the following lines, among others:

[04:31:30 /tmp]$ head -n 5 NIC/fet916.c
/* ne.c: A general non-shared-memory NS8390 ethernet driver for linux. */
/*
    Written 1992-94 by Donald Becker.

    Copyright 1993 United States Government as represented by the

[04:32:45 /tmp]$ head -n 35 NIC/fet916.c | tail -n 18

    Changelog:

    Paul Gortmaker      : use ENISR_RDC to monitor Tx PIO uploads, made
                          sanity checks and bad clone support optional.
    Paul Gortmaker      : new reset code, reset card after probe at boot.
    Paul Gortmaker      : multiple card support for module users.
    Paul Gortmaker      : Support for PCI ne2k clones, similar to lance.c
    Paul Gortmaker      : Allow users with bad cards to avoid full probe.

*/

/* Routines for the NatSemi-based designs (NE[12]000). */

static const char *version =
    "916.c:VIA Technologies Inc. 10BaseT Linux driver v1.0 \n";

[04:33:40 /tmp]$ tail NIC/fet916.c -n 6
 * Local variables:
 *  compile-command: "gcc -DKERNEL -Wall -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer
-I/usr/src/linux/net/tcp -c ne.c"
 *  version-control: t
 *  kept-new-versions: 5
 * End:
 */

As you can imagine, I wonder what the difference between this file and the
module that I already use because this file seems to relate to my problem.

Some more questions :
1) The linux.txt file says I should compile my kernel with a fast_ethernet
option. Is this because they were using slackware (it mentions rc.inet[12]) or
an old kernel, or did I miss a kernel option ?
2) The file trans.dat says I should compile the source file and then
cp ./fet916.o /usr/src/linux/modules/fet916.o. Should I change it to
/lib/modules/2.0.36 ?