Latest Wine effectively broken?

After upgrading my box with apt-get I find that WINE no longer works.
Apparently apt-get allowed it to be fetched but the install could not
follow through because a file it depends on, libgl1 was not available.
The version of WINE to which I refer is wine 0.0.990923-1

I note from the Debian web site that it depends on:

libgl1 (NOT AVAILABLE)
       GNU C Library: Shared libraries and timezone data

How on earth has this happened? Surely apt is cleverer than this?
Because I (stupidly) cleared out my apt archives I no longer had a
previous version to fall back on. I have since managed to find the older
version.

Any idea how this can happen? Surely if a file depends on another file,
and that other file is not available, apt would not attempt to fetch and
install it?

--
Phillip Deackes
Debian Linux (Potato)