Re: modules in use

*- On  9 Oct, Jim wrote about "modules in use"
> Hi, is there any way to tell exactly what process, etc. may be using a
> particular module?
>
> I keep seeing these messages in /var/log/messages:
>
> kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
> kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3

These usually result when a smb shared resource on a machine that you
had mounted has died or stopped responding.  Thus the kernel keeps
trying to check the connection.

> AFAIK this has only been occuring since I went to kernel 2.2.12 (from
> 2.0.38).  Everything seems to be working fine.  However, the smbfs module
> claims to be in use, and I can't figure out by what.  I do not have any
> smb volumes mounted at all.

Compare the contents of the mount command, /etc/mtab and /proc/mounts.
If /proc/mounts shows a mount and the mount command which reads
/etc/mtab does not then try to just umount the mount point.  If
/proc/mounts show nothing and mount and /etc/mtab do show a mount then
I have had luck editing the /etc/mtab(yes I know this is a no, no).

> /sbin/lsmod
> Module                  Size  Used by
> ppp                    19416   2  (autoclean)
> slhc                    4128   1  (autoclean) [ppp]
> ipx                    12488   1
> smbfs                  24432   1
>
> (Actually I'm not using IPX either, and it's loaded... although it's not
> generating any errors.)
>
> How do I find out what, specifically, is using these modules?

Sorry, I had a similiar problem and could not find the answer either.
Maybe someone else will know.  You would think that this is kept
somewhere in a human readable form.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.