modules in use

Hi, is there any way to tell exactly what process, etc. may be using a
particular module?

I keep seeing these messages in /var/log/messages:

kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3
kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3

AFAIK this has only been occuring since I went to kernel 2.2.12 (from
2.0.38).  Everything seems to be working fine.  However, the smbfs module
claims to be in use, and I can't figure out by what.  I do not have any
smb volumes mounted at all.

/sbin/lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ppp                    19416   2  (autoclean)
slhc                    4128   1  (autoclean) [ppp]
ipx                    12488   1
smbfs                  24432   1

(Actually I'm not using IPX either, and it's loaded... although it's not
generating any errors.)

How do I find out what, specifically, is using these modules?

TIA.