Re: potato broke X :(

Art Lemasters <alemas@rmi.net> writes:

>      ...not sure, because I began running xdm for potato, but
> did you copy and config an .xinitrc to the user home directory
> X is running in?  You might check the X docs on this.

Art,

Actually, xinit doesn't need an .xinitrc; it defaults to using xterm
as the initial x client -- no window manager, just the X server with a
single xterm; Ron's problem is (apparently) occurring when xinit
starts 'X'; we were just trying to narrow it down with that bare
experiment.

You're right, of course, if he wanted to do anything useful (like
have a window manager), he'd need an .xinitrc if running 'xinit'
directly.