Re: potato broke X :(

Ron Farrer <rbf@toxic.magnesium.net> writes:

[...]
> Okay, I logged in as root and typed 'xinit' and it went to vt7 and just
> sits there with a blank screen. Switching back to the vt that I started
> with, it has the error I previously posted about connection broken.

OK, that error,

 X: error in loading shared libraries: X: undefined symbol: __syscall

appears to me to be coming from /usr/X11R6/bin/X, which is part of
the xserver-common package.

Your version of xserver-common is Version: 3.3.2.3a-11
while current potato is Version: 3.3.5-1

You *might* want to try upgrading that (and any dependencies it
has), if you can afford to play with this system.  Be sure you
have a way to get back (I suggest using dpkg-repack to save
your previous versions of the packages you intend to upgrade),
in case you end up in worse shape than you are now.

If doing that doesn't take us at least a step closer to a solution,
I think you should open a bug report against xserver-common [also,
if you can't afford to upgrade to 3.3.5-1, I'd open a bug report
and explain that fact] --- the problem could be elsewhere, and the
xserver-common maintainer may well recognize it and tell you
exactly what unrelated thing to change to fix it.