Framebuffer console 'Invalid Mode'

Greetings:

Is there a trick to getting the framebuffer console working in Debian?
I followed the instructions in the Framebuffer-HOWTO but at boot time, I
get a message saying something like:

"You passed an invalid mode, press <space> to see the valid modes"

Of course, it shows only vga text modes in the list.

I have gotten the framebuffer console running on a redhat 6 system with no
trouble. I can't do a 'vga=ask' lilo parameter on that system and get
anything but vga modes, but if I put 'vga=792' int lilo.conf, it takes it
properly.

I have a matrox g400 card and I have tried both the matrox mode and the
vesa mode.  I am running kernel 2.2.12.

Here is the lilo.conf that didn't work:

boot=/dev/sda1
root=/dev/sda1
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
prompt
timeout=50
vga=792
image=/vmlinuz
	append = "video=matrox:vesa:440"
        label=Linux
	read-only

I also tried it without the matrox line.

Here is the lilo.conf fron the redhat system that does work:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt