how to remove a broken package

*sigh*
Surely, this can't be such a difficult question to answer. I hate to be a
pain, but I don't know where else to turn, and I would rather be flamed than
ignored.

I need to know how to remove a broken package.

Specifically, I'm having problems removing apache & squid. I get the
following errors:

Removing squid ...
dpkg: error processing squid (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
Removing apache ...
dpkg: error processing apache (--remove):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
 squid
 apache

How can I get force the removal of these? I've read the man page, and none
of the options that look like they _might_ work, do not. What else can I do?

Charles Lewis, Director of Administrative Computing
Southwestern Adventist University, Keene, TX
(817)556-4720  lewisc@swau.edu  FAX (360)397-7952