xpdf doesn't work for me---fonts

xpdf.  The dpkg blurb says that xpdf uses X fonts.  But xpdf needs
t1lib0, which is a type 1 font rasterizer.  When I installed xpdf, I
can't see anything, so perhaps the type2 fonts are not working?

(I have had trouble too with xtide giving  empty windows.  I don't
understand this.)

The files I want to view are from TeX.  Using  metafont fonts.

What can I do?

Alan Davis
--
adavis@netpci.com

"A non-viscid theory of flow renders the screw useless, but the need
for one non-existent."            ---Lord Raleigh