Re: ttyS*--?

*- On  7 Oct, pplaw wrote about "ttyS*--?"
> debs,
>
> 1.  according to windoze, my lapbox modem is config'd for com5 @/on
> irq 10.  the /dev file doesn't list a /ttyS4.  how do i add it?

cd /dev
./MAKEDEV ttyS4

> 2.  my deskbox modem is config'd for com4 @/on irq3.  slink sees
> /dev/ttyS3 @/on irq 3, but nothing happens when i pon the isp.  (my
> goal is to have successful apt-gets.)  what else can or needs to be
> done?

Try minicom first on the port and see if you can directly talk to the
modem with AT commands. Try to dial your isp using minicom and make
sure the connection is made.  Record all the required prompts and
/etc/ppp/peers/provide file look like?  What does plog show when you
start pon?  We really need more data to point you in the right
direction.

Brian Servis
Mechanical Engineering              |  Never criticize anybody until you
Purdue University                   |  have walked a mile in their shoes,
servis@purdue.edu                   |  because by that time you will be a
http://www.ecn.purdue.edu/~servis   |  mile away and have their shoes.