Problem w/apt-get dist-upgrade

I'm trying to upgrade a fresh slink base-install to potato.  I've upgraded
apt (0.3.7slink0), edited sources.list, did apt-get update, and apt-get
dist-upgrade. (I've done all this from scratch 3 times - it's repeatable).

I get the following error:

E: Problem executing scripts DPkg::Pre-Invoke 'mount -o remount,rw /usr'

Also, if I try dpkg --configure -a:

Setting up bsdutils (2.9w-3.1) ...
dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: No such file
or directory

Any clues on what's happening here?  I've done this upgrade at least a dozen
times, and I've never seen this...

--
Regards,
Steve

Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 Reboots are for kernel and hardware upgrades.