Re: NIS and groups

On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 10:46:14PM +0200, jtr@uni-bonn.de wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I ever wondered why I didn't success in adding users to group floppy
> on our network, until I saw in the Makefile that for security reasons
> GIDs less than 100 are not included in the NIS distribution.
>
> How can I add my users to this group (GID 25) without leaving security
> holes; how do other people on the list using NIS do this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> joachim

Depends on which dist (stable/unstable). In stable you can edit the /etc/login.defs
file and turn on CONSOLE_GROUPS, and add floppy as one of them. This makes any user
logging into the console able to use the floppy.

In potato, you must edit the /etc/pam.d/login file and edit configure the pam_groups.so
module.

Ben