Quake 2 trouble.

I tried posting to linuxquake.com and got no response..maybe someone here
can help.

Quake 2 shareware runs great.. full 3D acceleration (TNT) no crashes no
problems what-so-ever. (quake 3 flies too)

the problem is when i try it with my quake2 cd.  It won't load..here is
the output:  Happens with both quake 2 3.19 from slink and from 3.20 which
i d/l offa cdrom.com. Happens both when i run from the cd, or copy the
files off it and run from hd.  checked the newsgroups and other places
didn't find anything that mentions this error.

[root@aphro ~/quake2] ./q2
   Added packfile ./baseq2/pak0.pak (3307 files)
   Added packfile ./baseq2/pak2.pak (2 files)
   execing default.cfg
   couldn't exec config.cfg
   Console initialized.

   ------- sound initialization -------
   sound sampling rate: 22051
   ------------------------------------
   ref_gl version: GL 0.01
   R_SetMode() - CDS not allowed with this driver
   Initializing OpenGL display
   ...setting mode 3: 640 480
   GL_VENDOR: Brian Paul
   GL_RENDERER: Mesa NVIDIA RIVA 1.0

   GL_VERSION: 1.2 Mesa 3.0
   GL_EXTENSIONS:
   ...allowing CDS
   ...GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array not found
   ...GL_EXT_point_parameters not found
   ...3DFX_set_global_palette not found
   ...GL_EXT_shared_texture_palette not found
   ...GL_SGIS_multitexture not found
   ------------------------------------
   CD Audio Initialized
   ====== Quake2 Initialized ======

   ==== InitGame ====
   ------- Server Initialization -------
   0 entities inhibited
   0 teams with 0 entities
   -------------------------------------
   0.0.0.0:0: client_conneChanging map...
   reconnecting...

   Installation
   ERROR: LoadTGA: Only type 2 and 10 targa RGB images supported

   ==== ShutdownGame ====

(have to type 'quit' to exit the game at this point)

any ideas ?? hope so!

TIA  --> :)

nate

      Linux System Administrator           http://www.firetrail.com/