Re: expiring mail in Gnus

Matthias Hertel <mhertel@bigfoot.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to configure Gnus to make reading debian-users somewhat
> newsgroup-like, ie. all messages that are read (as opposed to unread,
> ticked, or dormant) should be deleted from my disk after three days.

This is a common concern and source of confusion, and I include myself
among the confused.

First of all, Xemacs20 and Emacs20 (unstable, potato versions) use
different versions of gnus *and* different versions of the gnus
info manual -- so be *sure* you're looking at the info doc that
corresponds to the gnus that's actually running.  (The main gnus
info pages metion their versions, and M-x gnus-version will display
the version your current emacs is using.)

If you're focusing on Pterodactyl gnus, there has been some recent
discussion about auto-expiring on the *ding@gnus.org* mailing list
(and you really *should* be subscribed to that list if you're testing
Pterodactyl). There's a searchable ding mailing list archive at
http://www.gnus.org/list-archives/ding/ which might prove helpful.

> I thought that setting the following group parameters for my
> debian-users group would accomplish this
[...]
> But it doesn't.
[...]

I don't use auto-expire or total-expire myself (I prefer to 'E'-tag,
the messages I want to expire), but I do have the following
in my .gnus file:

  (setq nnmail-expiry-wait 2) ;; delete mail two days after it was (E)xpired (default was 7 days)

... so maybe you should see what nnmail-expiry-wait is for you?

[...]
> A somewhat related problem: Normally read and dormant messages are
> hidden from the summary buffer. How do I *temporarily* make them
> visible?
Try C-u SPC in the *Group* buffer.

Good luck.