Samba: When does smb.conf get read?

Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places, but I can't find the
answer in any of the docs/web sites.

I've installed Samba, and left the workgroup=workgroup. Accordingly,
when I started browsing for my Debian box via Windows' Network
Neighboorhood, I found it in the "Workgroup" workgroup. Wanting to
change that, I found in the docs that I simply needed to change the
"workgroup=" line to whatever workgroup I wanted to be in.

I've made that change, yet every Network Neighborhood I've checked still
has my box in "Workgroup". Thinking there'd be a delay in the Windows
browse list update, I've waited two days. In the meanwhile, I've tried
other things as well, such as killing/restarting inetd, and nmbd, (or at
least I THINK I did, but since I'm still pretty green....).

Surely I don't need to reboot?! Surely I'm just missing something basic?
So my two questions are:

1) Whenever I make a change to /etc/samba/smb.conf, what do I have to do
to make the change active? In other words, what does it take to get the
system to reread smb.conf?

2) Is my problem a Samba configuration problem, or is it a Windows
browsing issue, that once Windows sees a machine in a workgroup, it
remembers that forever, even if the machine changes workgroups? If this
is the case, can I force Windows to forget the old association, and
re-read the list of available networked devices?

Actually, one more question: where in the documentation might I have
found these answers?

Thanks!