X, WindowMaker, and the such

I am having a problem running X on my machine.  The main
problem seems to be that WindowMaker crashes when I try to
open a dialog box (for instance when trying to access 'settings' for
a dock icon).  However, if I run X as root, this problem does not
occur.  It also manifests itself in other ways, such as various other
programs crashing.  Also, a possibly related issue is the fact that
there is not systemwide .xserverrc file.

I am running the latest stable release of Debian, on my 386
compatible system.  I can send a copy of the server output to
anyone who wants it, but have not included it for the sake of those
who do not.

Thanks for your time.