bug in mesag3 install ?

I have noticed that there *seems* to be a problem with some packages when they
are upgraded.  glib, gtk, and mesag3 come to mind.  When I upgrade these with
either dpkg or apt, the old packages are not removed.

This morning, I tried to upgrade to mesag3 (for potato) and got an error about
a failure to overwrite one of the components of the previous version of mesag.
I took a chance and removed all the old mesag packages and then installed the
mesg3 package and its dev package too.

Is this a bug?

I am having a similar problem when I try to install the latest potato version
of perl5005-doc.  Apt complains that it cannot overwrite the old version, but
I am unable to remove the old version.

thanks

--
Andrew