Re: Sun classic

On Wed, Oct 06, 1999 at 12:26:11PM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:

> Ben Collins wrote:
> > IMO, the Debian install is a lot simpler. As I said Debian supports what the
> > kernel supports, which is any sun4c, sun4m, and sun4d (we also support sun4u,
> > ultrasparc, with the proper kernel). SPARC Classic is a sun4c, the same cpu
>
> Excellent, so basically I can install Debian on my Sun.
> BTW, uname -a says that the machine is sun4m; what kind of Sun is that?
> LX? There's no letter printed at the front panel of the machine. I said
> "classic", but actually it was a wild guess.

Sounds like it, and my LX is actually running very well (I suggest you upgrade
to a > 2.2.7 kernel after installing with the 2.2.1 slink boot disks). Right
now it's serving as my web/ftp server, and the central database for the Debian
SPARC autobuilder.

> > type of the SPARC Station 1 that I have been running Debian on succesfully
> > (including the latest unstable version of Debian, potato).
>
> Is there any ftp site that I can download the Debian for Sun kernel
> file? I don't have the CDs yet, but I'd like to boot the machine using
> Debian and see how the procedure goes.

ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-sparc/current/

You will need the resc1440-2.2.1.bin, drv1440-2.2.1.bin, root-2.2.1.bin, and
base21.tgz files (if you can't serve base21.tgz over nfs, then get the seperate
pieces and put them on floppies). There's also an install.txt(.html?) file if
you need some extra help.

Once you get the base system installed and booted, I strongly suggest upgrading
it to potato. Debian's SPARC dist has seen great improvements since slink
released.

Ben