Re: Clock is loosing time

[Please use <76 character lines]

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 09:07:02 -0500, David Kanter wrote:
> Why is the time as shown by asclock drifting so far from the real time?
> Does Linux read the BIOS time, and therefore my BIOS clock is losing time
> quickly,

Could be; see clock(8).

> or is something else going on? Now the time is off by about 15 minutes,
> and it makes crontab jobs sort of tricky.

The time support also tries to keep drift in mind, using the file
/etc/adjtime. Sometimes it helps to delete that file and then update the
clock (clock --date=... ; clock --hctosys) daily for a couple of days.

> Is there a way to sync the time with a server when I start a PPP,

Yes, the NTP protocol. See the "ntp" and "ntpdate" packages.

HTH,
Ray
--
ART  A friend of mine in Tulsa, Okla., when I was about eleven years old.
I'd be interested to hear from him. There are so many pseudos around taking