Re: Sun classic

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 07:12:44AM +0700, Oki DZ wrote:

> BTW, why would anyone install the Debian on Suns if the machines come
> with
> Solaris right out the boxes? The only reason I'm asking about Debian on
> Sun is that I think it's an interesting alternative since the Classic
> where I have an access to doesn't have Solaris on it (the CDs I mean).

I have an ELC sitting behind me but no Solaris, and a few Sun/3s of
various vintages.  None of them have a copy of SunOS or Solaris, since
they were all second hand.  There's probably a lot of people in my boat.

I imagine I could get one of the cheap licenses from Sun, but I thought
I'd take a look at the Debian port (NetBSD in the case of the /3s)
first.  There's also the fact that Debian is less revolting (or at least
more familiar - though they might be the same thing) to use than Solaris.
It ships with a compiler for one thing, avoiding one of the more boring
parts of bootstrapping a Solaris system.

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/